How to Grow Wheatgrass at Home
Are you seeking a natural boost of vitamins and minerals, or want to add a touch of greenery to your living space? Then, you’re in the right place! By growing wheatgrass within the comfort of your own space, you can take advantage of this superfood and its nutritional benefits.
At Gardyn, we understand the importance of providing accessible and user-friendly solutions for aspiring home gardeners. We believe that everyone should have the opportunity to experience the joy and rewards of cultivating their own fresh produce, including nutrient-rich wheatgrass.
So, are you ready to embark on your wheatgrass-growing adventure? Let’s dive in and discover the wonders of cultivating this vibrant plant in the comfort of your own home!
What if we told you that there is a new and affordable way to ensure that you get freshly-picked fruits, vegetables, and herbs directly from your indoor space. With Gardyn, we take the guesswork out of indoor gardening.
DAYS TO SPROUT
< 7 DAYS
14 - 21 DAYS
TASTE IT FOR
Care & Harvest
Harvest grass when it has reached the desired height, leave behind at least 2” of grass to continue growing for multiple harvests.
Bunch up the blades together with one hand and cut clean through them using scissors with the other hand. Grass can be juiced fresh or air dried.
Grow Your Favorite Produce
With Better Taste and Zero Waste
Table of Contents
Why grow Wheatgrass indoors?
Fresh Supply at Home all Year-round
Growing wheatgrass indoors allows you to have a fresh supply of this nutritious plant right at your fingertips, regardless of the season. You no longer need to wait for the growing season to plant it outdoors, as you have complete control over the growing conditions indoors. Say goodbye to your daily visits to the store, you now have everything you need at home!
Make it Simple
Indoor wheat grass cultivation is an easy and straightforward process that requires minimal effort. Whether you’re a seasoned gardener or simply a beginner, you can successfully grow these green sprouts at home with just a few simple steps.
Indulge in Top Organic Quality
When you grow wheatgrass indoors, you have complete control over the quality and freshness of your crops. You can find reassurance in knowing that you have grown your food organically, without any harmful pesticides or chemicals, resulting in a healthier and safer diet.
Grow Microgreens, Too
Bite sized superfood packed with nutrients and loaded with flavor. Go from seed to harvest in just one week.
What do you need to grow Wheatgrass indoors?
- Start by choosing a nutrient-rich soil or growing medium that promotes healthy root development and provides essential minerals for your wheatgrass;
- Look for organic potting mixes or specially formulated blends designed for indoor gardening;
- Acquire high-quality wheatgrass seeds from a reputable source. Look for seeds that are specifically meant for sprouting or wheatgrass cultivation. Organic and non-GMO seeds are ideal for producing healthy and vibrant wheatgrass;
- Select a suitable container (seedling flat, jar or bowl) or tray to house your wheatgrass. Ensure that it has proper drainage holes to prevent waterlogging. Gardyn’s Home Kit offers a convenient all-in-one solution, providing specially designed trays for optimal growth.
How to plant Wheatgrass indoors?
Planting properly and efficiently Wheatgrass indoors may seem difficult, but with the right approach and a step-by-step plan, you can successfully cultivate wheatgrass and relish its abundant nutritional benefits. By following these detailed instructions, you’ll be equipped with the knowledge to efficiently grow and care for your wheatgrass in the comfort of your own home.
Step 1: Select and Ready your Container
Step 2: Moisten the Soil
Before planting, moisten the soil in the container or wet the yCubes in the Gardyn Home Kit. Ensure the moisture level is adequate for seed germination.
Step 3: Plant your Wheatgrass
Sprinkle a generous layer of wheatgrass seeds evenly over the moist soil or directly onto the yCubes. Press the seeds gently into the soil or lightly press them onto the yCubes for better contact.
Feel free to cover the tray or the container with a plastic wrap to create a greenhouse effect, promoting germination.
Step 4: Provide Adequate Growing Conditions
Place the container or Gardyn Home Kit in a well-lit area, preferably near a window with indirect sunlight. If natural light is limited, consider using a grow light to ensure proper growth and photosynthesis.
Wheatgrass can thrive properly in temperate environments and an ideal room temperature should remain between 65-75°F (or 18-24°C).
How to care for your Wheatgrass?
- Water your wheatgrass regularly, with a spray bottle, to keep the soil or yCubes consistently moist. Aim to maintain a slightly damp environment without overwatering;
- If your wheatgrass seams overwatered, make sure to properly drain the water, as it could cause root rot;
- For optimal growth and nutrition, consider using an organic liquid kelp fertilizer. Dilute the fertilizer according to the instructions and apply it to the soil or yCubes every 7-10 days;
- Trim your wheatgrass regularly to maintain its vitality and prevent it from becoming too tall. Use clean scissors or a sharp knife to cut the wheatgrass just above the soil level or remove the yCubes if using Gardyn’s system;
- Place your wheatgrass in a well-lit area with indirect sunlight. If natural light is limited, consider using a grow light to supplement the illumination;
- Maintain room temperature between 65-75°F (or 18-24°C) for your wheatgrass. Avoid exposing it to extreme heat or cold, as it may affect its growth;
- Regularly inspect your wheatgrass plant for any signs of pest activity, such as slugs, aphids, mealybugs, or caterpillars. Look for chewed leaves, discoloration, or small insects on the plants. If you notice any signs of garden pests’ presence, prefer using organic pest control.
Harvesting and Using your Wheatgrass
Once your wheatgrass has reached its peak growth, it’s finally time to harvest and explore the various ways you can use this nutritious plant.
How and When to Properly Harvest Wheatgrass?
Make sure to wait for the most opportune moment. Allow your wheatgrass to grow for about 7-10 days or until it reaches a height of approximately 6-8 inches tall (15-20 cm). This ensures that it has developed enough nutrients and flavor to be added to your favorite juicing concoctions.
Using clean scissors or a sharp knife, cut the wheatgrass just above the soil level or simply remove the yCubes if you’re using a Gardyn Home Kit. Harvesting at this stage ensures that you obtain the most vibrant and nutrient-rich wheatgrass.
Exploring the Many Uses of Wheatgrass
Add a touch of freshness and vibrant flavor to your meals with wheatgrass. Blend it into smoothies or juices for a nutrient-packed boost. Or simply chop some and sprinkle it over salads, soups, or stir-fries for a more delectable punch. Create a wheatgrass pesto by blending it with fresh herbs, nuts, garlic, and olive oil which you can later use as a spread or as a pasta sauce.
Wheatgrass is renowned for its potential health benefits. Extract wheatgrass juice using a juicer and consume it as a concentrated source of nutrients. Who said that wheatgrass is only limited to consumables? It can only be incorporated as a base for homemade face masks or skincare products.
Wheatgrass plants can also be used as an attractive and eco-friendly decorative element. Place wheatgrass in shallow containers and use it as a centerpiece for special occasions or events. You can also add it to floral arrangements or as a natural base for potted plants.
Choose the best indoor garden solution on the market
Unveil the future of indoor gardening with Gardyn’s Home Kit! Superior to competitors, our kit offers effortless gardening through innovative yCube technology, automating the growing process for busy individuals. With the ability to cultivate a diverse array of plants, Gardyn ensures an efficient, user-friendly experience, backed by robust customer support and a competitive warranty. Choose Gardyn, where technology meets convenience in creating lush, indoor green spaces.
Grow your own indoor garden for as low as $29 /mo
Recipe: Wheatgrass Smoothie
Why don’t you try starting your day with a refreshing wheatgrass smoothie packed with nutrients?
- 1 cup of fresh spinach;
- 1 ripe banana;
- ½ cup pineapple chunks;
- ½ cup almond milk (or any preferred milk);
- 1 tablespoon of fresh wheatgrass juice;
- Honey or maple syrup (optional, for sweetness).
- In a blender, combine the spinach, banana, pineapple chunks, almond milk, and wheatgrass juice;
- Blend until smooth and creamy;
- Taste the smoothie and add honey or maple syrup if desired;
- Pour into a glass and enjoy the invigorating flavors of your wheatgrass smoothie.