Are you tired of buying produce from the grocery store at full price to make your salad recipes, only to find that it has been sitting there for days, losing nutritional value? Growing your own vegetable indoors may be a fantastic way to reap the rewards of fresh, organic produce while saving time and money in the long run.
Indoor vegetable gardening is a new, fun and rewarding way to mix up the way you grow your favorite plants, flowers and veggies. Within only a small space, you can create a sprawling and thriving garden in your home by providing adequate light and water. You can also see your indoor vegetable plants grow as time passes, and harvest your crops from home all year long for you and your family to feast upon.
In this guide to grow plants indoors from seed to veggie, we’ll provide you with all the tips and tricks necessary to get started. Learn how to pick the right variety of plants for your space, understand their specific needs, and create a thriving garden that will provide you with delicious harvests one after another.
We’ll provide insight into key elements of growing vegetables indoors:
- Choosing the appropriate variety of fruit and vegetable for indoor growing.
- Knowing how much sunlight is needed.
- Monitoring soil conditions and nutrient needs.
- Selecting the right environment and equipment.
- Understanding temperature and humidity requirements.
- Making sure you have enough space.
Read on to discover clever methods for getting the most out of indoor gardening.
All you need to grow for as low as $29/mo
$695 – as low as $29/mo
Growing Vegetable Indoors: What You Need to Know Before Starting?
Being able to grow vegetable indoors can be rewarding, and has many benefits, such as:
- Significant savings: No more trips to the grocery store for food produce; all of it can be grown within the confines of your own home.
- Time and convenience: A small indoor garden requires minimal effort and a few hours to keep going, allowing you to reap the harvest year-round.
- Versatility: You can cultivate various fruits, stem or root vegetables and herbs according to your taste(s) and preference(s).
- Nutritional value: Eating fresh organic gives a deep boost to your nutrition levels.
Learn more about how you can get in on the gardening revolution. View our Gardyn products and accessories that make growing vegetables indoors a breeze.
How to Grow Vegetable Indoors Step by Step?
Plant growth is a complex and delicate process, but with the right guidance and attention, your greens will achieve success.
Step 1: Decide on a Location
The first step to growing your vegetable garden indoors is choosing a primary spot for your plants to flourish. Like us, veggies have their preferences, so just make sure the temperature stays between a cozy 55 to 70˚F for optimal growth. To continue to nurture your plants, be sure to provide them with sufficient light or sun exposure during the day.
A cool place with a window, like a basement or spare room, might be really the perfect location for your indoor vegetable garden. Adequate lighting is essential for plant growth, you can also consider using additional light equipment. With proper care, your leafy greens, roots, and herbs will thrive and show healthy leaves or produce delicious veggies.
Step 2: Install the Grow Light Equipment
Now it’s time to bring your indoor vegetable garden to life with good old-fashioned lighting. Your plants will need at least some amount of light to thrive. Here are the different types of light you can choose from:
- LED bulbs are the most cost and energy-efficient lighting methods.
- Fluorescent bulbs work well for starting seeds and the beginning stages of seedlings.
- Metal-halide bulbs are ideal for long-day plants that need a lot of light.
- High-Pressure Sodium Bulbs are the best choice when plants mature to enter their flowering or fruiting stages.
Step 3: Organization of the Plants
Time to get organized. You wouldn’t want your precious plants to dry, be cramped up and not get the love they deserve, would you?
- First off, grab your drip trays and place them on the shelves.
- Then, arrange your plants by similar heights and leave some space between each pot so they can grow tall. We want to let our plants have full access to light and good air circulation, right?
- Finally, adjust those lights to about 2 inches above the plants. You are on your way to a healthy little indoor garden.
Step 4: Soil & Fertilizer
The use of quality soil is the key to unlock all the nutrients your plants need. When selecting soil, ensure it’s free from weeds, pests, and fungus.
Those living in small spaces should consider getting organic potting soils. As for fertilizer, go slow and steady on this one. Too much fertilizer burns the roots.
Want Plant That Will Provide Multiple Harvests?
You can opt for over 25 varieties of leafy greens from our yCube portfolio if you prefer a plant that can offer multiple harvests rather than quick results. The choice is yours!
Gardyn's Top 10 Easiest Vegetables to Grow Indoors (And A Few More)
Starting to grow veggies indoors is a smart move. It’s convenient, cheaper, healthier, and more fulfilling. That being said, not all plants grow equally. Some are picky and petulant, while others are easy-peasy. So, give yourself time to search for plants that fit your skill level and meet your preferences.
Here are some tips for indoor gardening and the easiest vegetables to grow in your home.
Lettuce is like the Carrie Bradshaw of indoor gardening—universally loved and effortlessly stylish. They require consistent watering and a bit of light. You’ll have a non-stop supply of crisp, crunchy, and delicious greens. Whether you fancy butterhead, romaine, or loose-leaf, lettuce is a foolproof choice for your indoor garden.
Peppers are an excellent choice for indoor gardening. They grow fast, require little maintenance, and come in many delicious varieties. You could have a colorful pepper patch of sweet bell peppers, jalapenos, and habaneros.
Spinach is a nutritional powerhouse. Rich in iron and vitamins A and C—it’s the green of choice for all health-conscious individuals. It’s also an easy veggie to grow indoors. Just make sure that it gets enough natural or artificial light and water, and you’ll have a ready supply of healthy greens.
Radishes are like the Beyoncé of vegetables: colorful, bold, and versatile. They grow like wildfire, making them perfect for indoor gardening. They add a flavorful zing to dishes, making them a favorite among home cooks.
An absolute classic, tomatoes are a must for any home garden. In order to grow, a tomato requires minimal light and water, making it an ideal choice for even the most novice gardens. Simply place your tomato seedlings somewhere sunny and water them once a week—you’ll have juicy tomatoes in no time.
Cucumbers are a refreshing and flavorful addition to any meal. They’re also easy to grow indoors. You’ll have a bounty of ripe, juicy, and crunchy goodness, especially if they have support and plenty of sunshine.
Microgreens might be tiny, but they pack a nutritious punch. They grow quickly and continuously, giving your indoor garden a vibrant pop of color and flavor. Plus, they’re versatile—the possibilities are endless, from arugula to kale to broccoli.
Fresh herbs are the key ingredient to turn your food into a delicious dish. And, thankfully, they’re among the easiest veggies to grow indoors. Herbs like basil, thyme, oregano, and rosemary thrive in even smaller spaces and usually make gorgeous decorations.
Yes, carrots can be grown indoors. They require more effort than most veggies but are well worth it. Carrots are known for their sweet flavor and crunchy texture—from baby carrots to other carrot varieties , they make a perfect snack or side dish.
10. Green Onions
Green onions, or scallions, are a delicious addition to any dish. They come in white and yellow varieties, each adding its unique twist. Green onions are fairly easy to grow indoors— provide them with a decent amount of light and water, and you’ll have them in no time.
Meet our new
Now, choose between 7 different flavor-packed varieties.
Tips for Growing Vegetables Indoors
Indoor growing vegetables guarantees fresh, delicious produce. You don’t have to spend too much time or effort.
Choose the Right Plant
Not every vegetable is suited for indoor growing. Take the time to look for plants that have compact growth habits. Plants such as cherry tomatoes, or peppers work best. Every leafy green such as lettuce, spinach, and kale also do well indoors. Herbs are always easy to grow inside, and require less maintenance.
Don’t try growing an entire vegetable garden inside. It’s better to start with a few easy vegetables you like eating and learn from there. As you become more experienced, gradually add more plants to your indoor garden.
Growing vegetables indoors takes time and patience. Don’t expect overnight success. Be willing to experiment with different plants, lighting setups, and watering schedules until you find what works best for your space and lifestyle. You’ll be rewarded with a thriving indoor garden with patience and perseverance.
Grow Vegetable Indoors and Automatically With Gardyn
With Gardyn’s Home Kits, you can have fresh vegetables at your fingertips from winter to summer without leaving home. Both Home Kits contain:
- Automated water and light schedule: Never worry about over or under-watering your plants. The Gardyn Home Kits’ automated system adjusts the water and light schedule according to your plant’s growth stage.
- AI-powered growth assistant Kelby: Gardyn’s Home Kits come equipped with Kelby, an AI-powered growth assistant that monitors your plants 24/7 through cameras and sensors, providing personalized recommendations for optimal growth.
- Vacation Mode™*: Gardyn’s patented Vacation Mode technology manages your plant’s growth for up to two weeks, ensuring high quality, ready-to-eat produce when you return.
- Ultrasonic water sensors: Gardyn’s Home Kits has multiple sensors for 24/7 plant monitoring and optimization, including an ultrasonic water sensor for improved pumps and water level detection.
Start Growing Vegetables Indoors Today
With Gardyn’s Home Kit, you can automate the process and get personal help from our AI-powered growth assistant. Here are some reasons why you should consider indoor gardening:
- You can grow various vegetables, herbs, and fruits regardless of the weather outside.
- You can enjoy fresh and flavorful produce at a lower cost rather than shopping from the grocery store.
- Indoor gardening is a great way to reduce your carbon footprint and contribute to a sustainable future.
- You don’t need a chateau to start. You can easily grow produce inside of small apartments, condos, or even on a windowsill.
Start to Harvest Your Microgreens Indoors Today!
For those who own a Gardyn Sprout Nursery
Start to Harvest Your Microgreens Indoors Today!
For those who own a Gardyn Sprout Nursery
Feel good about growing microgreens indoors using our Gardyn Microgreens Complete Kit. Skip the hassle of buying all the separate materials, and order your complete kit today! You will be crafting nutrient-rich, gourmet, delicious meals in no time and enjoying the fruits of your (minimal) labor!