How to grow Garlic Chives indoors?
Garlic chives, also known as Chinese chives or Allium tuberosum, are a versatile plant that adds a delightful garlicky twist to your culinary creations. Imagine having a bountiful supply of these aromatic herbs readily available for your favorite recipes!
So, are you interested in growing your own fresh and flavorful garlic chives right in the comfort of your home? Look no further! With Gardyn, you can take your home gardening to the next level with innovative solutions designed to simplify the process and ensure successful results, and only in a matter of weeks. With your
Gardyn Home Kit 3.0, indoor gardening has never been easier on both your pockets and your indoor space.
DAYS TO SPROUT
10 - 21 DAYS
TASTE IT FOR
Table of Contents
Care & Harvest
Grow Your Favorite Produce
With Better Taste and Zero Waste
Why grow Garlic Chives indoors?
Growing garlic chives indoors can be a rewarding and practical addition to your home. Not only do they offer a fresh and aromatic touch to your kitchen, but they also provide a wealth of nutritional benefits for the whole family to enjoy.
Fresh Herbs All Year Round
Growing garlic chives at home means you have the opportunity to enjoy fresh herbs regardless of the season. Unlike outdoor gardening, where overly damp or sweltering hot weather conditions can limit your herb supply, indoor cultivation allows you to have a fresh and abundant harvest throughout the year. No need to wait until late summer or fall to get your supply. Everything is fresh pickings with your indoor garden.
Make the most of your limited space
These herb plants typically don’t grow very tall, reaching around 12 to 18 inches in height, making them perfect for small spaces, such as apartments, condos, or even tiny kitchens. You can easily accommodate a few pots of garlic chives on a windowsill, countertop, or shelf, allowing you to maximize your available space while you enjoy munching on fresh herbs.
Choose the easy way
Garlic chives are notoriously known for being an herb that is easy to grow. Their resilience and adaptability make them a go-to choice for both beginners and experienced gardeners. With just a little effort, you can grow healthy garlic chive plants packed with bursting flavor. Plus, their attractive, slender leaves add a touch of greenery to your indoor space.
Are you looking to add more than just garlic chives to your mix but are afraid that you don’t have enough space in your indoor dwelling? A fully-automated indoor gardening system, Gardyn’s towers provide enough room for you to cultivate more than a dozen plants for you to grow easily and freely within only 2 sq.ft. With several pounds of fresh fruits, vegetables, and herbs per month, you’ll be able to whip up delightful meals daily.
Grow Microgreens, Too
Bite sized superfood packed with nutrients and loaded with flavor. Go from seed to harvest in just one week.
What do you need to grow Garlic Chives indoors?
Growing garlic chives indoors can be a rewarding and accessible way to have fresh herbs at your fingertips. However, to ensure successful cultivation, you’ll need to pick up on a few key essentials. Here’s everything you need to know about growing garlic chives indoors:
- Garlic chives prefer soil that drains well in order to prevent waterlogging. This saturation can lead to root rot. Look for a high-quality potting mix specifically formulated for indoor plants;
- Select a container that has drainage holes at the bottom to allow excess water to escape. A container that is at least 6 inches deep and wide enough to accommodate the herb’s root system is ideal;
- Garlic chives thrive in temperatures between 60 and 75 °F (15–24°C). Keep your indoor environment within this temperature range to ensure optimal growth;
- Good air circulation helps prevent the development of fungal diseases. You can achieve this by placing a small fan nearby or by opening windows occasionally to allow fresh air to circulate.
How to plant Garlic Chives indoors?
Planting garlic chives indoors is a straightforward process that allows you to enjoy fresh herbs right in your kitchen (or living room). No matter which method you decide upon, follow this step-to-step guide to ensure a budding indoor garden in only a matter of a few weeks.
Step 1: Ready your containers
Select a clean and suitable container with drainage holes at the bottom. Fill the pot with well-draining potting soil, leaving about an inch of space at the top.
Consider using the Gardyn Home Kit: place the yCubes into the designated slots in the unit. They contain pre-seeded plant pods, which simplify the planting process.
Step 2: Plant your garlic chives seeds
If you’re starting from seeds, sprinkle the garlic chive seeds evenly over the prepared soil in the pot. Lightly press them into the soil using your fingertips. Then cover the seeds with a thin layer of soil, approximately ¼ inch deep.
Step 3: Find the Perfect Location
Place the container or Gardyn Home Kit in a location that receives 4 to 6 hours of sunlight per day. If natural light is limited, supplement with grow lights designed for indoor plants. To ensure even growth, rotate the container every few days to expose all sides of the plant to light.
Step 4: Provide Initial Care
No matter which method you’re using, gently water the soil or yCubes after planting to ensure proper moisture. Use a watering can or spray bottle to avoid disturbing the seeds or dislodging the yCubes.
From basil to cilantro to strawberries to cherry tomatoes, the possibilities are endless with your Gardyn Kit 2.0. With minimal effort, you’re only weeks away from achieving a small indoor oasis.
How to care for your Garlic Chives?
Proper care is essential for the health and vitality of your garlic chives. By providing the right growing conditions and care, you can ensure that your herbs thrive and continue to provide a fresh supply of aromatic flavor. Here’s all our secrets to grow healthy garlic chives:
- Garlic chives prefer soil that is consistently moist but not waterlogged. Monitor the moisture level regularly by inserting your finger about an inch into the soil. Feel free to water whenever the top inch feels dry;
- Excess water can lead to root rot and other problems. Ensure proper drainage by using containers with drainage holes.
- Garlic chives benefit from regular fertilization to support healthy growth. Use a balanced, water-soluble fertilizer formulated for herbs or vegetables;
- Pruning encourages the development of new shoots and helps maintain the plant’s compact shape. Regularly trim the outer leaves to about 1 inch from the base. Avoid cutting more than one-third of the plant at once to allow for continuous growth.
Harvesting and using your Garlic Chives
Once your garlic chives have reached a mature stage, it’s time to reap the rewards of your indoor gardening efforts.
Basic care for optimal growth
Garlic chives can be harvested throughout their growing season, but the best time is when the plants are around 8 to 12 inches tall. Using a pair of sharp scissors or pruning shears, carefully cut the outer leaves of the garlic chives near the base. Leave the central portion intact to allow for continuous growth.
To ensure the health and longevity of your garlic chives, avoid cutting more than one-third of the plant at once. This allows the remaining leaves to support new growth.
Culinary exploits for your tastebuds
Garlic chives add a distinct garlic flavor and a subtle onion-like taste to dishes. Use them as a garnish for soups, salads, stir-fries, and omelets. They also make a delicious addition to herb butters, sauces, and marinades.
Create your own infused oils or vinegar by combining garlic chives with your preferred oil or vinegar. Let the flavors meld together for a week or two before using them to enhance dressings, marinades, or as a drizzle over roasted vegetables.
All You Need to Grow for as Low as $28/mo
Garlic chives recipe: Garlic Chive and Potato Pancakes
This recipe showcases the distinct flavor of garlic chives while complementing it with the comforting texture of grated potatoes. It’s a wonderful way to savor a fresh harvest directly from your home garden.
- 2 cups grated potatoes;
- 1/2 cup chopped garlic chives;
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour;
- 1 egg, lightly beaten;
- 1/2 teaspoon salt;
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper;
- Vegetable oil, for frying;
- In a large bowl, combine the grated potatoes and chopped garlic chives;
- Squeeze out any excess moisture from the potato mixture using a clean kitchen towel or paper towels;
- Add the flour, beaten egg, salt, and black pepper to the potato mixture. Mix well until all the ingredients are evenly combined;
- Heat a generous amount of vegetable oil in a skillet over medium-high heat;
- Take about 1/4 cup of the potato mixture and form it into a small pancake, flattening it slightly. Place the mixture into a hot skillet;
- Repeat the process with the remaining potato mixture, making sure to leave enough space between each pancake to avoid overcrowding;
- Cook the pancakes for about 3–4 minutes on each side, or until they turn golden brown and crispy;
- Once cooked, transfer the pancakes to a paper towel-lined plate to drain any excess oil;
- Serve the garlic chive and potato pancakes hot, garnished with additional chopped garlic chives if desired;
Enjoy as a delightful side dish or a tasty snack for your tastebuds!
Why don’t you give a shot with a Gardyn’s Home Kit?
Do you want to test new features? Gardyn’s Home Kits employs advanced technology to streamline the care process. With automated watering, nutrient delivery, and optimal lighting, it takes the guesswork out of caring for your garlic chives. Enjoy the convenience of a self-contained system that supports healthy growth and maximizes flavor.
By following these care tips and taking advantage of innovative technologies like those provided by Gardyn, you can ensure that your garlic chives will flourish. Enjoy the fresh flavors and aromatic qualities of this easy-to-grow perennial herb.
If you’re eager to learn more about Gardyn’s products and innovative features, feel free to visit our website. With Gardyn, you’re on your way to making healthier and sustainable life choices, so start now!