It’s so much fun to have fresh food 24/7, 365 days a year because your Gardyn is always in season! In celebration of the first day of spring, we bring you a tasty veggie grain bowl that’s easy to put together and bursting with flavor.
Created by Gardyner Anjana Sathyamurthy, this busy mom of two, gastroenterologist, and practicing yogi loves experimenting with flavors. Anjana knows the demands of a parent and the need for quick-cooking meals (while minimizing the use of cookware) and celebrates the joy of exploring various cuisines with her family.
We hope you enjoy Anjana’s Pesto Grain Bowl, contributing to a full plate and most importantly – a full life.
Pesto Grain Bowl
Creator: Anjana Sathyamurthy
Recipe originally from YogaDocChef
- Prep Time 10 Minutes
- Cook Time 20 Minutes
- Total Time 30 Minutes
- 4 cups butternut squash sliced/diced
- 4 cups asparagus cut in thirds
- (You could use other veggies like sweet potato, brussel sprouts, broccoli, cauliflower etc.)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- onion powder
- garlic powder
- red chilli flakes
- crushed black pepper
- salt to taste
- Fresh Herbs (Optional):
- fresh basil (from my Gardyn)
- fresh thyme (from my Gardyn)
- fresh rosemary (from my Gardyn)
- 1 cup rice blend (white, brown, wild and red)
- 1.5 cups water
- (Notes from Anjana: You can use other grains like white rice, brown rice, quinoa, farro, and cracked wheat. The grain:water ratio and cooking time will vary.)
- 3-4 Tbsp pesto (I used store bought vegan pesto, Seggiano brand)
- (Notes from Anjana: You could make your own pesto at home as well. Most of the store bought pesto have parmigiana which is not a vegetarian cheese. I have not yet found a pesto made with vegetarian parmesan. But lately I found this Seggiano brand vegan pesto, so I can skip the step of making pesto on busy nights.)
- sun dried tomatoes (optional)
- 1 avocado diced
- sweet peppers sliced (optional)
- roasted pine nuts (or any nuts of your choice)
- fresh mozzarella (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- Transfer the butternut squash and asparagus to an oven safe pan. Add oil, seasonings and fresh herbs to the veggies and mix well. Roast them at 400°F for 20 minutes.
- While the veggies are roasting, I like to prepare my grains in my Instant Pot (IP). Add the rice blend (I used Rice Select brand) to the IP base. Mix in water. Close the IP lid. Set the valve to sealed mode. Cook at manual high pressure for 6 minutes. Wait for natural pressure release. (As mentioned earlier, if you are using other grains or brands, grain:water ratio and cooking time could vary.)
- Time to assemble!
- Add grain to a serving dish. Add pesto to this. Mix well. Add the roasted veggies and toppings.
- Make it vegan without using the cheese. (Or for a vegetarian version, pinch of some fresh soft mozzarella on top.)